Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A memoir straight from my heart

On a lazy Saturday evening, i woke up at 6 with a mild head-ache. As usual i got ready to have some tea at the nearby shop. A few sips later, my brain started working and senses started to return. I was enjoying my tea and looking at the other customers in the shop.

There was a cute little kid with a bunch of family members having their evening snacks next to me. As they were speaking in my mother tongue, telugu, i was able to understand what they were talking about. I was somehow genuinely interested in the little one. she has been running here and there and after a while she whispered something in her mom's ear. She replied "Not now!!!" and the little one started crying. Now, i understood she wanted to have some candy. She was waiting for her dad who was busy collecting the food for the family from the counter. The moment she found her dad she asked the same. Dad made a "what to do?" kind of sign towards mom. She smiled and the candies were up for grabs. The happiness on the little ones face was widely visible and so are her parents'. This changed my sleepy mood and i too was all smiles.

I came back home from the shop only to find the electricity was off. I switched on to my favorite past time, terrace and ipod. Somehow, the thoughts of the little girl were still ringing in my mind and i started recollecting my childhood days. I spent my childhood in the streets of Railway Colony at Visakhapatnam. After returning from school i played cricket for an hour or so in the ground next to our house and my dad used to silently watch me. After the game, i always used to come to my dad who used to sit on a stage built for poojas during Vinayaka chavithi and dasara , which was also our third man boundary. I used to sit and hover around and he would understand that i wanted something. Well, most of the time, it was pretty obvious, a 50 paise Eclairs or 25 paise Bigfun and as deal to not let mom know of it. I loved eclairs a lot. For people who never knew Big Fun, it is a chewing gum which comes with a small score card kind of wrapper to it with cricketers' pics. I used to take Big Fun just for those wrappers. On the days when the results of examinations were out, i had the privilege of buying a 5star chocolate worth Rs.5, provided i stood among the top three of my class. Remembering these moments i have had a nice evening break.


Soon the electricity came and i was back to reality. Now, i don't like chocolates any more, though, i can buy the costlier ones and most important of all, i miss my dad.

On a personal note, i would like to thank each one of my friends who persuaded me to start blogging again. I owe you people a lot.

2 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, Blogger Ashwin S Kumar said...

very nice post!! everyone loves to remember childhood ..:)..keep writing !!

 
At 2:50 AM, Blogger Siri said...

The days when when were little, not bothering about the struggles to come in the later part of our lives - is the best time ever. Summer holidays at my grandmom's place, the guava tree, the 10 paise orange-colored golis and I can go on & on.

Your post reminded me of all those times, thanks for that. :-). Childhood is precious and I wish I had known that fact when I was a kid. :-)

Keep writing,
Siri

 

Post a Comment

<< Home