Monday, July 03, 2006

Ignorance Stupefied

With holidays commencing from 7th of this month which extends till 12th I thought of going home . With one of my friends , expressing his desire to accompany me to Vizag the stage was set for the journey . I got up early at 7a.m to rush to the reservation complex inspite of sleeping very late at 4 a.m. The previous night , the very much expected Brazil Vs France match ended in a jeopardy ( for Brazil fans ) with France coming up with some stunning performance . Soon after the match we had a discussion , offcouse on that same topic , till 4 a.m .


The cell phone alarm was ringing but i was not at all ready to wake up . I was laying on my bed thinking of awaking but my body was not responding me . Hey , don't get carried away by a similar scene which you might have seen in Gharshana--Telugu ( kaka kaka -- Tamil ) , where our dear own Venky ( Surya in tamil ) is lying on the banks of a river helplessly insearch of his sweetheart . Soon my loving mom n dad flashed by , and it gave me enough strength to rise out of my bed and stop the ringing alarm . I went to my friend to wake him up . I got ready in 10 minutes or so and again went to him and started our journey .



We reached early at the counter ( before 8 a.m and the reservation starts at 8 a.m ) and hence had to wait . As there was no one at the counter we were the first and last . Then starts my trouble and the clerk says in an authoritative voice " you are the first customer and I don't have the change to give you " . Adding to my misery, no fellow came for reservation till 20 minutes from then , though there was one he didn't had the change nor the train accomodation . As it was very early in the morning , no shop was opened . I stopped each and every one passing by the road for change , but my efforts ended in vain . I had to walk all the way back towards a hotel ( nearby from hostel ) . The obvious answer from the hotel fellow would be a "NO" , expected it from past experiences , and hence took a token for breakfast which could tender the exact change and walked back to the reservation counter , adding an extra walk of 20 minutes . Got the ticket by giving him ( the clerk ) the change and again walked back 20 minutes back to the college .I don't curse anybody for this , neither the clerk nor the railway authorities for it . I take it on my part the offense of not tendering the exact change .It was "Ignorance Stupefied" on my part .



The issue I would like to discuss is that aren't the railway people aware of the fact that the first few customers to the counter might not have the change to deliver . They can give the booking clerk an initial amount with lower denominations so that the customers need not suffer . With ATM cards around , where in getting a denomination of 50 is not possible and with increased number of people using them the railway authorities need to take a look into such circumstances . And as "Marketing myopia" suggests , this is the problem not with railway ticket booking but many others as well .


Readers please suggest a solution .

7 Comments:

At 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Post Vissu,
Even i felt the same way on that day. Cant they keep money with lower denominations..

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger M.V.K said...

era nuvvemo blog lo matter change chesesavu..veedemo comment change chesesadu..mee iddariki janalu ela kanipistunnaru bey

 
At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nee yabba...
nuvvu change thiskelakapovadan "Ignorance stupefied" avuno khadho theliyadhu khani dhani kosam intha blog rayadam matram kachithanga "Ignorance Simplified"

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Ravi Kiran said...

entro "plz comment " anni rayadhu annanu anni chepi "plz suggest" anni rasthava....
enti chesthunavu...

 
At 2:40 AM, Blogger Reetesh Mukul said...

Perfect post. Perfect in the sense that you cought the point, the scenario in really clear way. I think the solution is person dependent ... many of the people who have job at counter do take care of small denominations... but most of them do not ... culture ... culture ... culture

 
At 12:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I think time had come for Indian railways to Introduce swap machines for our credit and debit cards... Anyway I am not sure abt this ..jus stay chill and book your tickets online...

 
At 4:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://vtyupdr.com]xWCWItty[/url] - sDpKNQAZayJrLG - http://pyfnknfrtw.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home